Flax seeds (Lini semen) contain about Calories (kcal) – 534, Proteins – 18.29 g, Carbohydrate – 28.88 g, Fat – 42.16 g, Omega-3 – 22.8 g (as much as 57% of all acids), Omega-6 – 5.9 g, Dietary fibre – 27.3 g, Zinc – 4.34 mg, Iron – 5.7 mg (72%), Phosphorus – 642 mg (92%), Calcium – 255 mg (92%), Potassium – 813 mg (92%), Magnesium – 392 mg (98%)
Manganese – 2.5 mg (108%), Sodium – 30 mg, Selenium – 25,4 mcg, Copper – 1.2 mg (136%), Lutein + zeaxanthin – 651.00 mcg, Vitamin B1 – 1.6 mg (137%), Vitamin B2 – 0.16 mg), Vitamin B3 (PP) – 3.08 mg), Vitamin B5 – 0.98 mg, Vitamin B6 – 0.5 mg (36%), Vitamin B9 (Folic acid) – 112 μg, Vitamin C – 0.6 mg, Vitamin E – 0.31 mg, Vitamin K – 4.3 mcg, Vitamin H – 6 μg.• Flaxseed oil contains almost all amino acids. Amino acids are essential for the synthesis of proteins, collagen.• Flaxseed oil is considered to be one of the best and main vegetable sources of omega-3 and omega-6 acids. Only chia seeds have more omega-3.• Flax seeds contain 1,7 times more carbohydrates than soybeans.• Flax seeds belong to the group of products with a low glycaemic index. The glycaemic index shows the effect of the food you eat on your blood sugar after a meal, so when you eat products with a low glycaemic index, sugar enters the bloodstream slowly, maintaining a feeling of satiety for longer.
Flax preparations have a mild laxative, anti-inflammatory and analgesic effect.
Indications. Flax seed preparations secrete mucous substances that protect the stomach and intestinal walls from external irritants, forming a film, so they are used for the treatment of gastrointestinal (gastritis, enteritis), oral cavities (gingivitis, stomatitis), or the respiratory tract (bronchitis) inflammations, as well as for treatment of kidney and urine diseases. It is used externally as skin softener. Flax mucus is well extracted after pouring the flax seeds with hot water.In folk medicine it is used for kidney, urinary tract diseases treatment, expulsion of worms. Flax contains the flavonoid Apigenin, which has anticancer activity.
Usefulness of flaxseed for the health and beauty:
• for the prevention of cardiovascular diseases – flaxseed contains plant-derived medicinal substances – lignans, even 700 times more than other plant products, they are useful in treatment of various heart diseases, lowers blood pressure, helps remove free radicals, lowers cholesterol and therefore protects blood vessels and reduces the risk of stroke. According to the study conducted by US researchers, your blood cholesterol level can drop by as much as 9-18 percent in 4 weeks if you eat 2-6 tablespoons of flaxseed every day.
• for the digestive system – protects the intestine from irritation, weakens the effect of toxic substances, inhibits inflammation of the whole intestine, reduces the acidity of gastric juice, prevents the accumulation of slag, improves digestion and softens the stool, promotes normal bowel peristalsis, acts as laxative in case of constipation.
• Flax seeds help those suffering from irritable bowel syndrome, relieve its symptoms.
• for the respiratory system – calms the airways, suppresses inflammation, facilitates expectoration. Recommended for patients with asthma, pneumonia, bronchitis or tuberculosis.
• for the nervous system – Omega-3 acids of flaxseed oil, normalize the activity of the central nervous system, help fight diseases of the nervous system, tension, stress and excitement.
• for the skin – flaxseed and flaxseed oil are suitable for dry, irritated, sensitive, cracked or damaged skin. With daily use of flaxseed products for a long time, the skin acquires a natural look, strengthens, becomes soft, bright and elastic.
• for hair – suitable for use if the hair is very dry or starts to break, promotes hair growth, inhibits branching. After prolonged use of flaxseed products, the hair becomes shiny, strong, regains its natural flexibility and softness.
• The omega 3 fatty acids of flaxseed promote faster healing of skin wounds.
• in case of overweight and for weight control – the vegetable fibres in the flax not only increase the volume of food, cause a feeling of satiety, help prevent attacks of severe hunger, but also help break down fat and turn it into energy – 1 teaspoon of ground flaxseed is poured with half of a glass of warm water, mixed and drunk 20 minutes before eating. Flaxseed is especially useful in various diets.
• Daily consumption of flaxseed products in diabetes helps to stabilize blood sugar. Flax seeds, also can help prevent even type II diabetes.
• for the prevention of cancer – the flax contains the flavonoid Apigenin, which has anti-cancer activity – inhibits the growth of cancer cells and inhibits the formation of metastases. Although flavonoids are found in many fruits, vegetables, and some beverages, such as wine and tea, flaxseed is particularly abundant: 100 g of flaxseed contains about 35 to 70 mg of flavonoids. It is said that daily consumption of a tablespoon of flaxseed or its oil can reduce the risk of breast, colon and prostate cancer as well as cancer of other organs, and daily consumption of flaxseed can facilitate the course of the disease in ovarian, lung and skin and other organ cancers.
• for women – lignans (hormones of plant origin) help to regulate the menstrual cycle, stabilize the hormonal balance, reduce heat flushes during menopause. And flaxseed is exceptional here as well, as it contains up to 700 times more lignans than other fruits and vegetables.
• for the prevention of prostate diseases in men – reduces the chances of prostate enlargement and inflammation.
• Daily consumption of flax seed products strengthens the immune system by providing the body with valuable vitamins, proteins and minerals.
• Daily use of flaxseed products is also very useful for the joints, they relieves both acute and chronic joint pain, relieves inflammation, accelerates healing in case of injuries (ligament, tendon sprains), as well as relieves swelling, ointment made from the solid of linseed oil and the roots of comfrey is very appreciated.
• Daily use of flaxseed products, especially flaxseed, not only reduces the risk of disease, but also helps to treat osteoporosis, rheumatoid arthritis. Flax seeds are also useful in the prevention and treatment of diseases such as multiple sclerosis, Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s diseases.
• has antiparasitic properties – cleanses the intestines, preserving its microflora – ground flaxseed.
• Daily use of flax seed products also saves from depression and insomnia.
• In addition, flaxseed products improve the body’s ability to absorb calcium, which speeds up the healing of joint injuries.
• Heat treatment is not only unnecessary, but also useless for flax seed, as flax seed products lose their useful substances when heated.
• If you use whole flax seeds, then it is recommended to swell them in warm water before use. There will be no full benefits from the seeds, but there will still be some positive effect – the seeds will work just like a mild intestinal cleanser.